Advice to My Mini-Me
High School Graduation…..
When I started writing this out, the idea was to create a little something for my future. While I am still young, giving my thoughts on things that I wish I knew or words of encouragement I wish I would have gotten. I wanted to look back and pull this out to share with my daughter. (Yea I am preplanning lol). But for today, this post, Advice to My Mini Me is dedicated to my little sister. My sister and I are 8 years apart. We are completely different and completely alike. I definitely see myself in her when I was in high school. I have been that big sister that is always there (literally) and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Today my little sister graduates from high school. It seems unreal, but I am ready to continue to see her transition into the young lady she will become.
Graduating from high school is exciting. You are literally stepping into a new world. New opportunities and new people. Along with all the exciting things that graduating high school and stepping into college provides, it also provides you with a lot of pressure.
I just want to give her and a few others that are graduating some pointers.
Here it goes….
- Do what makes you happy
- Be who makes you happy
- Maintain good grades
- Look into and prepare for the future
- Be active in school (clubs/organizations/sororities)
- Remember someone is always watching you
- Make your own money (It feels good to not have to ask).
- Balance…. Manage a social life and alone time
- Remember to never lose sight of who you are
- Make memories
- Love yourself first
- Admit when you are wrong
- Don’t spend a lot of time entertaining “potential”
- Make new friends
- Remember everyone is not your friend
- If it means something to you, fight for it
- Protect your body
- Accept your setbacks to make a comeback
- Never ever settle… Never ever
- Don’t give into peer pressure
- Your intuition is 99% right. Listen to it
- Forgive.. But you don’t have to always forget
- Understand you won’t always have life figured out
- Embrace your flaws
- Dress the way you want to be addressed
- Don’t forget to treat yourself sometime
- Don’t let your pride get in the way
- Be the person you want to find
- Enjoy the little things
- Life is short… Don’t sleep it away
- Treat them how you want to be treated
- Never burn bridges
- Always water your own grass
- Follow your dreams
- Always carry a book
- Always be a lady
- You learn so much by simply observing others
- Know that I always love you
- Value your education
- Make your coins
- Value yourself
- Don’t hold grudges… Life is too short
- Always be prepared
- Don’t make the same mistake twice
- Surround yourself with like minded friends
- Treat yourself
- Find your quote and stick to it
- Pray about everything
- Keep God first
As I said initially, this started for another reason, but I knew I wanted to do share somethings with you. I hope you take what I said and understand it. Know that I love you and support you always. I hope that you enjoy your college life. Please know that it will pass by in the blink of an eye. One day you enter your first college class and the next you are prepping to walk across the stage again. Take in every minute of it. Work hard and enjoy life.
Your Big Sis